Since Apple launched their first iPod, Apple kept a strict guideline on how to use their products. They do not allow to use thirdparty softwares to handle your iDevice (iPod, iPhone and iPad) contents. For example: You only can use iTunes software as your media transfer tool. Whatever content you want to add in your iPhone, iPad or iPod should be passed through only Apple. That was good for iPod for music but as Apple released first iPhone in 2007, It was felt like a jail as it was not possible to install any thirdparty softwares or custom softwares.
All application had to pass through Apple AppStore policy and it was only option for Apple users to get applications on their device. This was a getting back point for many users who want to install themes, custom softwares and other patches.
iOS Jailbreak is a process that removes limitation on Apple iPhone, iPad and iPod to use software and hardware through some exploits. It allows iPhone root access to iOS allowing third party unapproved apps, addons, patches, tweaks, themes and even cracks of some Apps that apple sold with fees. Jailbreak is idea of making device free from all limitation applied by Apple in order to gain highest control over user experience. Regardless, People enjoy jailbreak a bit more due to eye-catching graphics, menu options etc tweaks. It also helped many people to test out some malicious apps which would never have approved by Apple. This process only adds functionality to any iPhone, iPad, iPod and iTV second generations without damaging original features and original apps.
Jailbreak is illegal on many countries and it depends how they applied their policy. Jailbreak is a iOS firmware specific function and it doesn’t remain on iOS after update. With every new iOS, it requires new version jailbreak availability from jailbreaker team like DevTeam, GeoHot, evansion, Jailbreakme.com etc
Some basic information that should be known as a fact
- Jailbreak & iPhone Unlock is not the same process (Unlocking relates to Network access, SIM access while Jailbreak is only for Cracked apps, tweaks, themes and root access)
- Jailbreak is not permanent. You update, you loose!
- Jailbreak can help you to install themes, sounds, patches and tweaks as well cracked Apps, Games and other details.
- Jailbreak is not Apple software, Apple is strictly against jailbreaking any iOS.
- Your warranty is not valid if you bring a jailbroken iPhone to Apple Store. (Instead, you can update to latest iOS and can go to them)
- Jailbreak is a free application, feature developed by some coding team (you’ll know who, when you read further)
- Even after JB, you are allowed to install AppStore apps as well your routine application will work.
- Jailbreak is not a secure method and sometime you can kill your device forever! though, never received any complain yet.
- If your iPhone has a software called CYDIA installed, your iPhone is jailbroken :)